Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Hong Kong’

South Horizons MTR station on the recently opened South Island Line was temporarily closed on Tuesday night after a burst water pipe caused it to flood.

Regular service resumed around 12.25am on Wednesday after the reopening of the station.

The flooding had prompted service on the South Island Line to terminate at Lei Tung station, with lower train frequencies.

Pictures circulated online by passengers showed ankle-deep water flooding the lobby and water raining down from the ceiling.

An MTR spokesman said water had leaked from the ceiling near exit B at South Horizons at about 8.45pm.

The station’s closure prompted the MTR to arrange alternative buses from Lei Tung station for passengers heading towards the South Horizons area – the last stop on the new South Island Line, which commenced services on December 28.

South Horizons resident Nick Tse said he went to catch the train from Wong Chuk Hang to the end of the line at about 9.50pm, but he was not alerted to the closure until he boarded the train.

He said he an announcement at Lei Tung station informed passengers of the alternative shuttle bus.

“There were not many people waiting for the buses. Only about 20 people on the one I took,” Tse said.

The Water Supplies Department said the private fresh water pipe which provides water to parts of South Horizons estate had been shut down by its workers.

In the meantime, two water trucks and eight tanks were sent to the affected areas.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education-community/article/2070847/hong-kong-train-passengers-wade-through-ankle

Read Full Post »

Two fishing zones in Central and Tai Po – proposed by the chief executive in last year’s policy address and costing HK$5 million in total – are expected to open to the public next month, the government has said.

The announcement by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department came after the plan in Tai Po was approved only last month following a cost cut of more than half the original budget and a change in location.

Last year, Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying announced a pilot scheme to establish angling zones in venues managed by the department in Central, Tai Po and Tsing Yi.

But the proposals in Tai Po and Tsing Yi were shot down by district councillors over concerns of high costs and water quality.

In January, the department submitted a revised plan to the Tai Po District Council, which saw the proposed cost reduced from HK$3.5 million to HK$1.5 million, and the location changed from Pak Shek Kok Promenade to a pier near Tai Po Waterfront Park.

Lau Yung-wai, a district councillor in Tai Po who opposed the initial plan, said it was “a waste of taxpayers’ money”, and that the original location was not especially popular among anglers.

But Lau said he did not reject the revised plan as the cost was reduced significantly and new facilities such as water coolers could benefit residents.

While Cheng Lai-king, a Central and Western district councillor, welcomed the additions, she raised concerns over the water quality at the fishing zone in Central Promenade, advising people not to consume the fish caught there.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/2068529/hong-kong-government-hopes-two-new-fishing-zones

Read Full Post »

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-news.php?id=84330

Eleven food trucks will begin selling their fare from tomorrow at eight locations popular with tourists and locals. Not every truck will begin operating from tomorrow. Some will be at designated locations on February 16, while others will operate from February 24.
Food truck operators, Chee Kei, Book Brothers, Ho Yuen Express, Princess Kitchen, Table Seven X W. Burger, Hung Fook Tong’s Food Truck, Pineapple Canteen, Mein by Maureen, Crunch Munch, Pat Chun Saucy Truck and Ma Ma Dumpling, are in the first batch approved for business.
Chee Kei offers braised pork rib, Book Brothers serves American-style barbecue meat in steamed bread, and Ho Yuen promises grilled squid. Fried rice, dumplings, pineapple bun, soup with fish maw, burgers, and fruit bowls, are among the specials that other food trucks are promising to serve.
The Tourism Commission has launched a mobile app, “HK Food Truck,” to help locals and tourists alike to trace the whereabouts of the food trucks. The mobile app is available for free download in Google Play and the Apple App Store.-The Standard

Read Full Post »

A survey has found that Hong Kong people spend around HK$25 billion a year on new clothes – twice the amount spent by people in Taiwan.

It also revealed that each person in the city spends an average of HK$800 per month while those in Taiwan spent around HK$350.

The survey was conducted by Greenpeace Hong Kong. It said the cost of clothes was higher in the territory and people tended to shop more frequently.

The group said about 40 percent of the people it spoke to said they feel the urge to buy again within a week of their shopping.

 

http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1309642-20170124.htm

Read Full Post »

The government has ruled out making it mandatory for companies taking part in the future voluntary health insurance scheme to cover Chinese medicine as a treatment option.

Head of the Healthcare Planning and Development Office at the Food and Health Bureau, Chris Sun, said on Sunday that the government would encourage the insurance sector to recognise the increasingly popular practice, but they could not be compelled to do so.

Speaking after taking part in RTHK’s “City Forum”, Sun also said the government would restart discussions on adding a requirement for insurers to cover people deemed to be “high-risk”.

Critics say without the high-risk coverage, the voluntary scheme will not be attractive for many people.

Authorities are expected to consult the public on the proposed changes in the near future.

 

http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1309228-20170122.htm

Read Full Post »

Chief Executive candidate and retired judge Woo Kwok-hing has suggested passing a law to prohibit the Chinese government from intervening in Hong Kong’s internal affairs.

In a social media post on Sunday, Woo said Hongkongers should consider legislating Article 22 of the Basic Law, which stipulates that no Chinese governmental bodies may interfere in the internal affairs of Hong Kong.

 

He said the move would help regain public confidence in Hong Kong’s political system and would help the city better implement the One Country, Two Systems policy.

“To ensure Hongkongers will be able to govern Hong Kong under the Two Systems, we must not act based on rumours and what we think the higher-ups want. If things are done unfairly, if the privileged are combative and favour allies, it will lead to a political gridlock,” Woo said.

“We need to let Hong Kong people know that government officials also abide by the law and do not act lawlessly just because they are of a higher rank.”

Hold Chief Executive accountable 

Woo, who formerly chaired the Electoral Affairs Commission, added that the government should commit to establishing a fair electoral system and amend anti-corruption laws so that the Chief Executive is also bound by them. “Our anti-graft law is yet to satisfy the principle of equality before the law,” Woo wrote.

He said he made the remarks at a forum, after which some participants told him that he “spoke the mind of many Hongkongers.” In another post, Woo said Monday that a group of young researchers and professionals belonging to the think tank Roundtable were particularly interested in his suggestion of legislating Article 22.

 

‘Visible hand’

The Chinese government has historically been criticised by the pro-democracy camp for intervening in local elections. Pro-Beijing lawmaker Michael Tien also spoke out on Tuesday, revealing that he had received phone calls asking him to switch camps and support an unnamed pro-establishment candidate.

Tien criticised the “invisible hand” for becoming increasing visible and getting the political situation in Hong Kong out of hand.

Former chief secretary Carrie Lam has received wide support from the pro-Beijing camp since she indicated her intention to run for the city’s top job last week.

A political gossip column in the Ming Pao newspaper said on Tuesday that different factions in the pro-establishment camp has been told to “fully support Carrie Lam and no one else.”

 

t said some pro-establishment politicians described the “order” was handed down much sooner and “more aggressively” compared to the previous Chief Executive election.

Chief Executive candidate Regina Ip said on Monday that she hoped the election would be open and fair. She also criticised the practice of previous Chief Executive elections whereby a “chosen” candidate was guaranteed to win.

When Woo announced his candidacy last October, he had already denounced the China Liaison Office – Beijing’s organ in Hong Kong – for meddling in Hong Kong’s internal affairs by commenting on them.

He also voiced support for the legislation of Basic Law Article 23, a controversial security law that the Chinese government has for years wanted to see implemented in the city.

 

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/01/18/pass-a-law-to-bar-beijing-from-interfering-in-hong-kong-affairs-chief-exec-hopeful-woo-suggests/

Read Full Post »

The MTR’s new South Island Line opened on Wednesday, with the first train leaving South Horizons on Ap Lei Chau for Admiralty at 5.55am.

Southern District councillor, Lo Kin-hei, was one of those who rode the first train. He said residents in his district are happy with the quicker journey time into the city.

But he expressed concern about congestion at the Admiralty interchange, especially when Ocean Park closes each day, putting extra pressure on the evening rush hour.

Lo told RTHK that residents were also concerned that some bus services may be cancelled.

South Horizons resident, surnamed Pang, said his journey time to Admiralty has been cut short by at least 30 minutes compared to when he had to take a bus, and said he would most likely switch to taking the MTR from now on.

He also said that he’s not concerned about the safety of the driverless trains.

“It seems absolutely fantastic. It’s a nice train. Everything seems to be going very smoothly… Many trains in western countries like England have driverless trains. I think it’s perfectly safe,” he said.

 

http://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1304505-20161228.htm

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »