JEWS AGAIN HEAD THE LIST OF GROUPS TARGETED BY HATE CRIMES IN TORONTO

It seems as though the more things change, the more they stay the same: continuing a trend that dates back to 2008, Jews were again the single most targeted group for hate crimes in Toronto.

According to the Toronto Police Service’s 2017 Annual Hate Crime Statistical Report, the number of hate crimes in the city jumped 28 per cent, from 145 in 2016, to 186 last year. Jews were the victims in 53 of those occurrences, or nearly 29 per cent.

“In 2017, the Jewish community, followed by the black community, the Muslim community and the LGBTQ community were the groups most frequently victimized,” the report states.

Breaking down their findings by victim groups, police reported that Jews were the most targeted group, followed by blacks and Muslims, who each experienced 33 occurrences. Next were incidents targeting individuals with multiple identities, called multi-bias occurrences, with 27, and LGBTQ with 22.

 

When the religious component of multi-bias crimes is included – such as victims being identified by perpetrators as both black and Jewish, or Ukrainian and Jewish – the number of Jewish victims increases to 66, or 35 per cent of all incidents.

Jews have been the single most targeted victim group in Toronto for the past decade, according to police data. The number of incidents targeting Jews increased by 23 per cent in 2017 over 2016, when Jews were the victims of 43 occurrences, or about 30 per cent.

When examining the data by type of offence, police reported that the vast majority of incidents involving Jews were mischief offences, such as graffiti on property, with 46 occurrences. There were five incidents of uttering threats to cause bodily harm or threatening death and two involving the wilful promotion of hatred.

Jewish groups lamented the regrettable status of being the single most targeted victim group. “It is appalling that, in a city as welcoming and diverse as Toronto, an anti-Semitic crime took place on average once a week in 2017. Behind every victim of anti-Semitism is a person and a family who feel the lingering impact of hate,” said Noah Shack, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs’ vice-president for the Greater Toronto Area.

 

http://www.cjnews.com/news/canada/jews-again-head-the-list-of-groups-targeted-by-hate-crimes-in-toronto

Jewish pupils attacked outside school in Paris

Muslim hate crime against Jews

 

link

 

(JTA) — Students and faculty of a predominantly Jewish school near Paris have reported two attacks and one break-in in the space of 48 hours.

The first attack against students of the ORT high school in Montreuil, an eastern suburb of the French capital, occurred on Nov. 19 just outside the institution’s gates, according to a statement issued by the school. Six young men started hitting a small group of students “in a very determined way and without any provocation or even exchanging words.”

Pupils who rushed to their schoolmates’ aid – including one non-Jewish ORT student of Turkish descent — also were attacked, according to ORT.  The attackers slammed one of them, Nathan M., against a parking meter. “He was severely beaten by the attackers, who fractured his nose and broke several of his teeth,” according to ORT’s report on the incident. Police were called to the scene but the attackers had already left.

The following day, a 17-year-old Jewish female ORT student was attacked verbally and physically in a Metro station. The girl said she was waiting for a friend at Montreuil station when she was approached by a group of five men who she described as “north African.” The report said the five men, one of them wearing a keffiyeh, a traditional Arab headdress, shoved her and told her to keep quiet or they would push her on the rails when the Metro train comes “like they did in Gaza.”

A third incident was discovered the same day, when security guards tried to detain a man in his thirties who was spotted on school premises. He ran away after telling the guards he was Muslim and that his presence there showed they had security failures, the report said.

The ongoing racist war against Asians : ‘We’re skinheads and we don’t like Asian people’

like racist Hollywood their equally racist audience also  hate Asians. they are not afraid to commit hate crimes against Asians

 

link

 

A pedestrian who was viciously assaulted in Ascot Vale as he was walking along a street earlier this year was targeted because he was Asian, a court has heard.

One of three people charged over the incident, Wayne Anthony O’Brien, admitted to police after his arrest: “We’re skinheads and we don’t like Asian people … don’t like Jews, don’t like Negros, you know what I mean.”

The last time I saw a photograph of a face like this young man, he was dead.

O’Brien, 20, and his friend Shannon Walter Henry Hudson, 21, and another friend who cannot be identified because he was 17, were charged with intentionally causing serious injury to the 21-year-old international student on the night of June 27.

Victoria’s Supreme Court heard that the attackers had been drinking alcohol at a city hotel and were captured on CCTV footage saluting to each other in a “Heil Hitler” manner.

 

They were on their way to Hudson’s home in Bloomfield Road, Ascot Vale, when they noticed the student walking on the opposite side of the street listening to music on his iPhone.

One of the three ran across the road and the others followed and began punching and kicking him without provocation.

Hudson also smashed over the student’s head a brick, which broke in half, and the victim was stabbed with an unknown sharp object. He lost consciousness during the prolonged attack and was chased down when he tried to run away.

The court heard the trio taunted their victim by yelling things including “you f…ing Gook” and “lie down you dog, you yellow dog” as they repeatedly belted him as he begged for his life.

Chief Crown Prosecutor Gavin Silbert, SC, told Justice Betty King that the victim “was terrified and believed he was going to be beaten to death”.

He suffered critical, life threatening injuries that required facial reconstruction and plastic surgery. He lost several teeth, suffered broken bones, puncture wounds and multiple cuts and bruises and still cannot chew or speak properly because of his injuries.

Intentionally causing serious injury carries a maximum sentence of 20 years.

Upon viewing photograph of the student’s injuries, Justice King said: “The last time I saw a photograph of a face like this young man, he was dead”.

She described the attack as “relentless”. The court heard it continued for about 10 minutes. She added that “many of those injuries could have killed him”.

The judge said the racially motivated attack was “unacceptable, unforgivable and our community will not tolerate it”. She later noted the attacker’s behaviour constituted “appalling, appalling conduct”.

Defence barrister Jarrod Williams, for O’Brien, said his client had acknowledged the seriousness of the attack, was deeply remorseful and was taking full responsibility for his actions.

He said O’Brien was homeless at the time and was very intoxicated on the night.

He also had a long history of drug abuse which dated back to his intellectually disabled brother, Christopher, being tortured and murdered when O’Brien was aged 15.

This had been profoundly traumatic to O’Brien, Mr Williams said. He had left school after his brother’s death and attended every day of the subsequent criminal trials, which added to the trauma.

He said his client had also experienced problems at home growing up after his father walked out on the family when he was toddler.

The court heard O’Brien had shaved his head the week prior to the attack, and had only recently started hanging out with a group of people who called themselves the Crazy White Boys or Skinheads.

He said he had realised as early as in his police interview that he had not held the same views as members of the group against other races, as he had a Jamaican friend.

“He now firmly, unequivocally and whole-heartedly rejects and repudiates the views of that group,” Mr Williams said.

“His remorse is palpable … He describes his actions as the most pathetic thing he’s ever done.”

Simon Moglia, for Hudson, said his client acknowledged his role in the ‘‘horrific event’’ and said took full responsibility.

Hudson admitted his many prior convictions, which included crimes against almost 10 other people, and also involved a similar attack on a random person in a public place.

Mr Moglia told Justice King “words fail me” when he mentioned the seriousness of his client’s offending in relation to ‘‘bricking’’ the student during the attack.

Hudson – who has never met, but is a distant relative of CBD killer Christopher Wayne Hudson, who gunned down two men and a woman in Melbourne in 2007, killing solicitor Brendan Keilar – had a troubled upbringing, the court was told.

Forensic psychologist Pamela Matthews testified that Hudson had a low I.Q., a borderline personality disorder and empathy issues and was a product of foetal alcohol syndrome.

The court heard he told Ms Matthews during a consultation about his offending: “I’m not ready yet, but when I am ready, I’ll change”.

Justice King expressed concern about such a comment as she stressed the important sentencing consideration of protecting society from such violent and dangerous offenders.

Hudson and O’Brien’s co-accused pleaded guilty in the Children’s Court over his role in the attack.

He was sentenced in September to one year and eight months in a youth detention centre, with an 11-month non-parole period.

The judge remanded O’Brien and Hudson to be sentenced on a date to be fixed.

The pre-sentence plea hearing continues.