The Liberal Democratic Party is leading Tokyo Gov Yuriko Koike’s political group ahead of the upcoming Tokyo assembly election on July 2, according to a Kyodo News poll released Sunday, though nearly half of those surveyed remain undecided.
Seventeen percent of Tokyo residents responding to the telephone survey over the weekend said they would vote for the LDP, while 11% said they would support Tomin First no Kai (group that puts Tokyo residents first), for which Koike serves as special adviser.
But given that 5% support the Komeito party, which is cooperating with Koike’s party in the metropolitan election, the governor’s group is almost evenly matched against Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s LDP.
The telephone survey covered 1,623 randomly selected households with eligible voters and received valid responses from 1,016 people on Saturday and Sunday.
The poll showed that 49% have not decided which party they would vote for, while 6% said they plan to vote for the Japanese Communist Party and 3% for the Democratic Party.
How to tackle the stalled relocation of the Tsukiji wholesale market in Tokyo could be a focal issue in the election, as Koike has put the relocation of the aging market known for its fish trading on hold due to concerns about soil and air pollution at the new site in the Toyosu area. The new market had been scheduled to open in November 2016.
The LDP, which heads the central government and has long dominated the metropolitan assembly, has called for an early relocation of the market, but Koike has yet to clarify whether she will make a decision on the relocation issue before the election.
The survey showed 46% of respondents remain undecided on how best to deal with the relocation issue. Twenty-eight percent said the Tsukiji market should be relocated to Toyosu, while 21% called for cancelation of the relocation plan and said the Tsukiji market should be renovated for continued use.
Koike, who formerly served as Japan’s defense minister and environment minister before becoming the first female Tokyo governor in August last year, garnered a high 63% support rating, with only 15% saying they do not support her.
Twenty-five percent said they hope the Tomin First no Kai will one day field a candidate in national politics, while 19% said otherwise and 49% said they do not know.
As for what policies they want the Tokyo metropolitan government to prioritize, 36% cited measures related to public welfare and child-rearing support, while 15% said employment and economic policies and 14% the Tsukiji market relocation issue. Preparations for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games were considered a priority issue by only 7 percent.
The support rate for the LDP stood at 23%, followed by Tomin First no Kai at 7%, the Japanese Communist Party at 6%, the Democratic Party at 4% and Komeito at 4%. Some 44% said they do not support any particular party.
Could a Manchester-style attack happen here in Canada? The answer, sadly, is a resounding “yes”…..That’s because we’ve already got jihadists like Salman Abedi, the 22-year-old behind the horrific concert attack, right here on home turf. Dozens of them. Perhaps over a hundred.
A hundred is just a rough number, and as the case of Salman Abedi unfolds, it is turning out to be quite the sizeable network of active jihadis.
News coming out of Canada that jihadists are running free while authorities do not charge them should not surprise anyone. Western countries are in grave danger as tens of thousands of Islamic State foreign jihadis return to their home countries. The Islamic State also promised to infiltrate the refugee stream, and did it; and both the Islamic State and Al Qaeda have been calling for lone wolf jihad attacks in the West for some time. The picture is grim, and innocent civilians in the West are in danger: truth tellers are increasingly ganged up on and shut up in the stealth jihadist “Islamophobia” drive that has allied with the left in working toward the subjugation of the House of War.
Jihadis on the loose is not just a Canadian problem, as we should all know. It’s a global one.
Meanwhile, Canada’s Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen defends the reinstatement of Canadian citizenship to convicted terrorists, and Canada continues to welcome unvetted immigrants.
“Canada has dozens of jihadists walking free, yet authorities won’t charge them”, by Anthony Furey, Toronto Sun, May 24, 2017:
Could a Manchester-style attack happen here in Canada? The answer, sadly, is a resounding “yes.”
Asking why it hasn’t happened yet is perhaps more to the point. That’s because we’ve already got jihadists like Salman Abedi, the 22-year-old behind the horrific concert attack, right here on home turf. Dozens of them. Perhaps over a hundred.
How do we know this? Because the heads of our security agencies say so. They’ve compiled the lists, they have the names and have some sense of where the radicals are at. The only thing they haven’t done is charge them.
Last March, CSIS director Michel Coulombe testified in front of a Senate committee that, at the time, there were 60 Canadians known to have returned home from going abroad to participate in terror activities.
These included paramilitary exercises, receiving jihadi training, providing logistical support for operations and more. Basically, they went to terrorist training camp. Then they came home. “Ticking time bomb” is the accurate phrase to describe this situation.
U.K. Home Secretary Amber Rudd recently confirmed that Abedi was known to authorities. For specifically what reasons, we’re not sure. The speculation is that it has to do with what he’d gotten up to during a recent visit to Libya.
Coulombe also said last year that there were an additional 180 Canadians who at that time were still abroad engaging in terror-related activities. A year ago. And how many of them have since come home?
These acts are serious Criminal Code violations. So if we’ve identified dozens of Canadians hot for jihad, why on Earth are we letting them move freely?
It can be difficult to build a proper case, terrorism expert and Carleton University Professor Alex Wilner pointed out on my radio show Wednesday morning. If the alleged terror offence took place in countries, such as Iraq and Syria, it’s tough to compile the evidence and get help from what exists of law enforcement in the regions.
Even when they return home to Canada, it takes dozens of officers to perform surveillance on one radical.
“We have to dedicate our limited resources to those that we think are the greatest threat,” CSIS deputy director of operations Jeff Yaworski told a committee back in 2014.
Despite all this, it’s clear Canada also just isn’t committed to going all in to charge these guys. RCMP commissioner Bob Paulson confirmed as much in remarks he gave to media last year.
“If we’re not getting the evidence, are we satisfying the safety issues by surveillance and other techniques while we collect the evidence or are there alternative ways of keeping communities safe by direct interventions with the individual or his family?” Paulson said last March. “In other cases, we’ve assessed that they’re back, they’re sorry, they’re working to try to get their heads straight and we’re relying on family members or other professionals.”
That’s right. If jihadists say they’re sorry and their moms promise to keep them on the straight and narrow, the RCMP opt not to charge them. It’s madness.
Back in the summer of 2015 the standing Senate committee on national security and defence released a report on countering terrorism.
Here’s recommendation 19: “The Government encourage police and Crown prosecutors to enforce provisions of the Criminal Code in all relevant matters involving terrorism in the criminal pre-criminal space.”
Yes, a government report actually had to humbly suggest that we actually enforce anti-terrorism laws…..