A former Hillcrest Middle School teacher is in jail amid allegations of an inappropriate relationship with an eighth grade student, authorities said.
Meghan Colleen Daugherty, 36, of 200 E. Carolina Ave., Clinton, was charged Friday with criminal sexual conduct with a minor — 2nd degree, according to a warrant.
The warrant alleges Daugherty committed sexual battery on a 14-year-old girl more than once from Jan. 4 to March 25.
Simpsonville police said the suspect was a physical education teacher at the time of the incident and had previously coached the girls’ volleyball and soccer teams.
A teacher resigned Thursday after meeting with the school’s principal to discuss allegations of an inappropriate relationship, said Greenville County schools spokeswoman Susan Clarke.
- Geraldine Alcorn, 28, was arrested this month in Pittsburgh after police say she became obsessed with an 11-year-old student at Beechwood Elementary School, where Alcorn was a pre-kindergarten teacher. Alcorn took the student ice skating and later lured the 11-year-old girl to her house. Police say Alcorn and the girl exchanged more than 2,000 text messages and had discussed running away together.
- Shakyla Wilson, 22, was charged with one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse after police in Naperville, Illinois, say she had sexual contact in February with a 14-year-old girl from Hill Middle School, where Wilson was volunteering as a girls basketball coach.
- An unnamed math teacher resigned from New Braunfels Christian Academy in February amid a police investigation after allegations surfaced that she had ongoing inappropriate sexual relations with a former female student.
- Dione Thompson, 45, was charged in February for having sex with a teenage girl she met while serving as a school resource officer in Bothell, Washington.
- High school dance teacher Michelle Smith White, 37, of Durham, N.C., was charged in October with having sex with a 16-year-old female student. Police said White had the student’s name and initials tattooed on her body.
- Dance teacher Sabrina Epps, 19, was arrested in October after police say she admitted having lesbian sex with a 14-year-old girl who was a student at the Tennessee studio where Epps taught.
- Gaile Supp, 25, pleaded guilty in September to sexual battery, a third-degree felony. A former teacher at Clearfield High School in Utah, Supp had originally been charged with object rape, a first-degree felony, in April 2013 for allegedly committing a sexual act on an unwilling 17-year-old female student at her West Haven home.
- California teacher Rebecca Eileen Diebolt, 35, was arrested in June after a woman told police that she and Diebolt had a four-year sexual relationship that began in 2004, when the victim was 15 and Diebolt was her language arts teacher and swim/water polo coach.
- Dance teacher Nichol Marie Phelps, 30, was sentenced to prison in June after she pleaded guilty to having lesbian sex with a 15-year-old student at the Florida academy where Phelps taught.
Not like there’s a pattern here or anything . . .